Friday, May 18, 2012

Marinated Veggie Salad

Today was shopping day, and I think I did good.  I only spent $115 and I was proud of what was in my cart.  I do go to more than one store though, and I do rely on mark-down items to help me meet my budget.  And if it weren't for mark-down meat I don't know if we could afford to eat lo-carb.  Those are the sad facts and I hope no one reading this looks down on reduced food items.  They are still fresh and delish if used right away or if frozen.  I have NEVER had a bad experience and I buy from several stores in two different locations.  I find if I go shopping around 8:30 - 9 a.m., that is my best time for finding the biggest reduced selection.  Believe it or not, but Wal- Mart participates and has excellent meat  that is mark down for quick sale.  They also reduce their bakery items, but I recommend walking right past those!  LOL  Kroger is good for mark down produce and check out local stores for dent/and no longer carrying no-perishables, as well as some dairy.  I also want to thank my egg lady.  Her farm fresh eggs are to die for.  She literally feeds her hens better than her fam!  LOL  They are local, organic, free-range, and cheaper than store brand!  I think I am getting the handle on eating this fresh/healthy way and I like how I feel.  I give all the glory to God for taking care of my family and me : )

I made this yummy salad a couple days ago to use up produce before shopping day.  It's flavor increases with marinating, but the veggies can get soggy.  Let sit 24 hours but eat within 3 days.

Italian Marinade Fresh Veggie Salad

1/2 head cauliflower
1 bunch broccoli (usually 2 heads bound together)
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/4 red onion sliced in half rings
1 Roma tomato, diced
1 16oz. bottle Italian salad dressing or make own ( I had a bottle of Kraft Roasted Red Pepper and Parmesan to us up)

Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into smaller size pieces and put in large container that has a lid.  Add the rest of the ingredients and cover with lid.  Shake well to combine.  Let sit in fridge overnight. 

Serves 6

Remember to make this your own by using what you have on had or what you enjoy.  I had some baby bella to use up, so I quartered them and tossed them in : ) Delish!


Blessings, Beth Ann

No comments: